Visa, Mastercard reject Facebook’s Libra digital currency plan
• Facebook’s Libra digital currency plan has recently witnessed a setback as Visa and Mastercard announced their departure from the project.
• Apart from these two payment giants, man other payment companies and supporters have decided to exit Libra.
• Facebook’s cryptocurrency Libra is facing criticism since it was launched. Visa officials said that it will re-examine the potential of Libra’s membership.
PM Modi gifts handwoven silk portrait to Xi Jinping
• A silk portrait created by Sri Ramalinga Sowdambigai Handloom Weavers Co-operative Society has given to Xi Jinping by PM Narendra Modi.
• Silk portrait art is an ancient craft of the area. Several generations of these weavers are making such portraits on silk clothes.
• Earlier, PM Modi gifted a Thanjavur painting of a dancing Saraswati and Nachiarkoil, a branched Annam lamp.
Eliud Kipchoge creates history by finishing a marathon under two hours
• It is for the first time when an athlete has completed a marathon in less than two hours. As per the media reports, he clocked 1hr 59min 40.2sec of time to finish the race.
• Eliud Kipchoge already holds the men’s world record for the distance with a time of 2hr 01min 39sec, which he made in the flat Berlin marathon on 16 September 2018.
• It was 42.195-kilometre (26.219-miles) of racing stretch that included a 4.3 kilometre-long straight alley.
Also Read | Kamini Roy Honoured by Google Doodle on her 155th Birth Anniversary
Sanju Samson hits fastest double ton
• Sanju Samson, Kerala wicketkeeper-batsman, has set a record of a scoring fastest double century in 50-over cricket.
• He scored 200 runs during Vijay Hazare Trophy against Goa. He scored 200 runs off 125 balls. Earlier, Shikhar Dhawan had taken 132 balls to score 200 runs.
• Sanju Samson scored an unbeaten 212 off 129 deliveries, including 21 fours and 10 sixes.
Postpaid phone services to be restored in valley from Oct 14
• Jammu and Kashmir’s Principal Secretary (Planning Commission) announced that all postpaid mobile phone services in Jammu and Kashmir will be restored from October 14.
• All the postpaid telecom services were suspended in the valley since August 5 when the central government decided to remove Article 370.
• Earlier, the services were likely to resume on October 12 but due to some technical glitch services will be restored from October 14.
Also Read | Top Current Affairs Quiz: 12 October 2019
Also Read | NASA Launches ICON Mission to Study Earth’s Ionosphere